What is Friends of Figma and how can I become a Student Leader?
Friends of Figma is a set of groups run by Figma enthusiasts who want to spread their excitement about Figma. Leaders are the heart and soul of our global community – they go above and beyond to give back by passionately running user groups at their schools.
If you’re interested in starting a Friends of Figma group for your school, we want to hear from you. Please read through the information below to learn more about what it means to be a Students Leader. Once you’ve read through the details, fill out the short form below to receive an application.
Student Leader FAQs
What is a Student Leader?
Students Leaders are enthusiastic about bringing their peers together to connect and learn from each other, and are part of our Community Advocate program. You lead a student group for your campus, coordinate in-person and virtual events, and be the point person for the Figma HQ team.
How often do I need to host an event?
In order to be considered an active group, you’ll commit to hosting at least one event every quarter months). If you’re on the semester system, 2 events per semester.
What kinds of events can I host?
You’ll help students grow their knowledge about Figma through hosting workshops and events. Some examples of events are:
- Figma 101 workshops
- Peer-to-peer portfolio reviews
- Portfolio reviews with professionals
- Recruiting sessions
- Partnering with FOF professional groups in your area for networking and career mentorship sessions
Do speakers for my events need to be approved by Figma?
No, however we do encourage event speakers to be other community members sharing their experiences.
- We do not allow speakers to be companies marketing to our community members
- Speakers at events are not paid
- We are happy to assist connecting you to other community members to speak at your event
What resources does Figma provide for my school group?
- Free Edu accounts for all your group members
- We’ll provide you with a brand kit
- We’ll connect you with our community of Advocates, both students and professionals
- Swag for your events!*
*While Students Leaders will receive swag, we will be suspending swag for meetup attendees until in-person events return.
What is the application process?
After you fill out the form below, we will follow up with an application form via email. As part of the application, you’ll be asked to send us a short video so we can learn more about you. You’ll also be asked to read and agree to our Community Advocate Policies.
What are the qualities/criteria you look for in a Student Leader?
Are there any perks of being a Student Leader?
There sure are! They include:
- An official title
- Access to the Friends of Figma, Students brand kit
- Private Slack channel with Student Leaders and other Community Advocates worldwide
- Figma Pro account for active user groups
- Closer engagement with the Figma team and product through sneak peeks and beta programs
- Cool swag!
How long is the commitment?
One year. After a year, you can renew your agreement or find a new leader for your student group. If you’re graduating, you’ll need to nominate another student to lead the group.
When will I know if I’ve been accepted into Friends of Figma as a Student Leader?
We are currently launching Friends of Figma, Students as a pilot program for the 2021/2022 academic year. At this time, we are accepting applications for Student Leaders of schools based in North America until September 15, 2021. As part of the pilot, we will only be accepting ten student groups to start and will open up the program to more groups in the near future.
What if I don’t want to be a Student Leader anymore?
All good! If something comes up and the commitment is no longer manageable, you can let us know – we have an exit process. In addition, if you violate any of our policies or Code of Conduct we may discuss off-boarding before the one-year mark.
Request an Application: